Sunday, December 18, 2011

November Movies

So we're halfway through December and I'm just now posting November's movies. I blame Pinterest. It sucks you in, I tell you! Although it has given me several good ideas for crafts, two of which I've already tried (more on that later). Anyway, movies! I did 5 this month, the 2 that were specifically on my list were Miracle on 34th Street and The Blues Brothers. There are still quite a few movies that I haven't gotten to yet, which means either A) Imma watch a whole lotta movies this month or B) I'm not going to get to them all. Since it's a week before Christmas and not only have I not shopped for stocking stuffers but I also have a toddler and a preschooler, my money's on B. And without further ado, the ones I managed to view:

A Serious Man (2009, Coen Brothers). I think this one hit home a little too much for me to sincerely like it. Loosely based on the story of Job, the main character's wife wants a divorce at the beginning of the film, and then everything goes wrong for the poor guy from then on. Considering we're on quite the unlucky streak ourselves right now, I found myself getting irritated with the man because he wouldn't just speak up for himself or stand his ground. I love the Coen Brothers (Oh, Brother Where Art Thou?) and it was a very well done film, but I just couldn't get into it.

Gnomeo & Juliet (2011, Kelly Asbury). Cute, predictable but amusing, not safe for small children if you don't want them learning quasi-swear words or seeing an elderly gnome in a man thong. Some seriously funny parts if you're paying attention, but mostly standard animated fare geared towards the 10-14 crowd. It's worth mentioning that James McAvoy has a voice like buttered velvet. That is all.

Sleepers (1996, Barry Levinson) This film was on my "watch eventually" list because way back in the day I had a semi-crush on Brad Renfro (Tom & Huck) and I read somewhere that he played the younger version of Brad Pitt's character. I also read that he had to wear blue contacts to do it, since he's naturally brown-eyed. Or was. Poor guy died the week before Heath Ledger and nobody noticed, cared, or even put him in the stinking slide show at the Oscars. Shame on you, Academy! Moving on. I didn't know what to expect of this film, and had I known I might not have watched it, but it was very well done and I'm glad I can check it off my list.

Miracle on 34th Street (1947, George Seaton) With all of the black and white movies that we watched growing up, and with how much I love Maureen O'Hara (redheads unite!) I haven't the faintest idea how this one escaped me all these years. I needed a B&W to fulfill my NYR for this month, and I thought I'd start things off with a little Christmas Spirit. Plus, Natalie Wood as a cute little tyke! Awww. Macy's hires a department store Santa for their parade, but lo and behold he claims to be the real Santa and many adventures in misbelief vs trust ensue. There's also a fake psychiatrist and a handsome laywer, and a lovely ending that has you pondering a visit to Macy's to get one of your own wishes fulfilled.

The Blues Brothers (1980, John Landis). This one has been on my list for a very long time, and I have no idea why I've never seen it. Honestly, I wish I'd seen it sooner because besides the catchy blues tunes, I was kinda bored. Well, the catchy blues and Carrie Fisher wielding heavy artillery with perfectly manicured nails. Perhaps if I'd seen it when I was younger and it was still relatively new, I would appreciate the humor and plot points more. I did enjoy it though, and holy young Dan Aykroyd, Batman! I almost didn't recognize him, at first. "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark...and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it."

3 comments:

  1. great accomplishment carla! 5 movies!! great job!! :) i enjoy reading....what's your most fav christmas movie of all time? can you share? or maybe you could rate your top 3 of christmas! ? just sayin'--i'd read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, my favorite Christmas movie of all time has to be "White Christmas". My top 3 of Christmas might take some thinking about, though. What's yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally white christmas!! but Elf is working it's way to the top!! :)

    ReplyDelete