Tuesday, March 1, 2011

February Movies

hey, remember those NYRs I made? yeah, I almost didn't either. Needless to say, I watched two movies back to back last night and upheld my resolution with about 15 minutes to spare.

 My February color movie was "State Fair", which considering it's a musical I'm rather shocked I haven't already seen it. There aren't very many musicals I haven't seen! It was cute and pretty much exactly what I was expecting. I loved all of Margy's cute little dresses, tried hard not to judge the singing chick for her fake red hair, and pretended that it was feasible to fall in love in 3 days (although it did piss me off that Wayne was so upset his girlfriend couldn't go to the fair, forgets her as soon as he sets eyes on the redhead whom he pursues for the rest of the fair, and then when that doesn't work out he goes right back to Blondie as if nothing ever happened. Dude, have some integrity! jackwagon.)
Moving on.

One of the things I love about old movies is that even after the movie starts, you can still grab a soda or some popcorn because the credits go first, nothing happens during them, and they always take several minutes. oh, and did I mention that TCM rocks my socks off? I love that channel. I've recorded like 5 movies so far, lovely old movies that I can watch at my own leisure with no commercials...love it.

My black and white February movie was "From Here to Eternity", which was nothing like I was expecting. I loved it, it was very well done with a solid plotline and (mostly) well-developed characters. It's funny that the iconic beach make-out session is what that movie has become known for and it takes up literally 5 seconds of  the movie and doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of the movie. (although Burt Lancaster's kinda ripped.) I can't really go into detail because I hate to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.


In summation, if you like musicals and cutesy, mid-40's love stories--go rent "State Fair"! If you like black and white war movies with a romance and drama angle, get "From Here to Eternity".
I picked good ones this month, and I've already got my two in mind for March!

No comments:

Post a Comment