Sunday, June 16, 2013

What Daddy taught me

The farther I get in this parenting journey, the more I realize most of it is doing the best you can, with what you have. In direct correlation to that, the older I get the more I realize just what kind of hurdles my own parents had to face to get us where we needed to go. And the older my children get, the more I want to apologize to my parents for the "strong-willed child" (yes, they had that Dr. Dobson book) that they had to raise.
I learned many things from my Dad, who is one of those guys that knows many things about many things. The proper way to cut down a tree with a chainsaw? Check. How to play bass guitar? Check. How to crack a bullwhip like Indiana Jones? Check.
Below is a very short list of some of the things my dad has taught me, all of which I am very grateful for. I love you, Dad. Happy Father's Day!

What Daddy Taught Me:
* Righty-tighty, lefty-loosy
* The Oldies ARE the goodies
* I brought you into this world, and I can take you out.
* Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?
* Spicy mustard mixed with honey makes an excellent dipping sauce for meats and cheeses
* A keen wit and a solid grasp of logic will take you very far in life
* The bass player can make or break the song/concert/album
* Mowing paths through the lawn instead of mowing the complete lawn can make for an epic hours-long game of tag
* Good coffee takes some effort, but is always worth it
* Sometimes people are overwhelming and it's okay to take a step back from the chaos of social interaction
* The names of a vast majority of tools and how to use them properly
* You always want dad on your softball team (but only if you're willing to hoof it around the bases after he hits it into the unmowed grass)
* Gaffer's tape fixes anything
* A good pipe is not just for Wizards
* Sometimes tossing random ingredients together will result in the best dishes
* John Wayne movies deserve repeated viewings
* The best sound at a concert will be wherever the sound board is, sit there if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment