Friday, January 7, 2011

you say you wanna Resolution?

yes, I just butchered some Beatles lyrics.
I did not make any New Year's Resolutions (hereafter referred to as NYRs) last year, seeing as how I was 7 months pregnant and all I cared about was birthing the kid safely somewhere around his due date. I've only ever made resolutions a few times in my lifetime, I don't really see the point of it if I'm not going to be able to complete it successfully.
This year, I've made 3 NYRs and one long-term goal, and I'm quite excited about all 4 of them!

First one is to lose the rest of the baby weight that's hanging around from both kiddos. I've always been tall and skinny and right now I'm the heaviest I've ever been. It's not as obvious since I'm so tall, but it's obvious to me and I'm not comfortable with where I am right now. I think once I buckle down and eat healthier and exercise a little more it'll come right off (at least I'm hoping so). and yes, I'm purposely not telling you a number because the number doesn't matter, I have a goal in my head and that's all I need!

Second one is to watch 2 movies every month that I have never seen before, one color and one black & white. And of course, I will then blog about them and tell you all what I watched and how I liked it, although that's not technically part of my resolution. For January, the color film was "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and while predictable and slow, was cute and had some genuinely funny moments. The B&W film was "The Star" with Bette Davis. I liked it, but the whole way through I kept thinking "if they changed this part, it could be REALLY good!" So needless to say, for the time in which it was made, it was good (almost extremely depressing, but it managed to save itself, although not quite the way I had hoped for) but I could write a remake that would make it Oscar material! okay, probably not, but you knew what I meant.

Third one is to complete my list of films that I've watched. If you know us at all, you know that Bogie is a huge film buff and has an alphabetized list of every film he's ever watched with the title, director, year, and the grade he gave it. Now he's behind on his list too, but my list is only about 100 some films long, so I will be going through Leonard Maltin's 2011 Movie Guide and completing my list. I have all year to do it, but the sooner I do it the easier it will be because then I can just add the new ones as I watch them instead of having to remember what new ones I've seen.

The long-term goal (which we have already started) is to read through New York Times' list of 100 Best Novels. We took their list (which was ranked, book # 1 being "the best" according to them) and randomized it so that we aren't influenced by their opinion and we have since started "Slaughterhouse-Five" by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. I'm excited about this goal because not only do I get to read a bunch of novels I've never gotten around to reading but it adds a whole new dimension to the discussions that Bogie and I can have! We get to read through a book together and then discuss it! I love this. This is by far my favorite goal...or should I say the one I'm the most excited about.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, are my NYRs and LTG (long-term goal) for 2011!
I would love to hear yours, if you made any! 2011 is going to be a year of rediscovery and self-evaluation, of becoming the person I want to be instead of lamenting about who I am not.

This is your life. Are you who you wanna be?
I dare you to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment