Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thank you

Thank you for the world so sweet
Thank you for the food we eat
Thank you for the birds that sing
Thank you, God, for everything
Amen.

We sang this song as a blessing throughout most of my childhood. I tried finding a video of the song, but the few songs that had the right lyrics had the wrong melody and were cheesy obnoxious kiddie songs. Unless you grew up Mennonite or with Mennonite family, you probably have no idea what the song sounds like but suffice it to say that this little blessing always makes me think of the Holidays.
The biggest table in the house loaded with clear crystal and shining china awaiting icy water and hot food. Tapered candles in elegant candlesticks, white cotton wicks sticking straight up ready for the touch of a match. Folded napkins, baskets of hot rolls, a fresh pot of coffee ready to accompany the many slices of pie. This, to me, is what a holiday is all about. All the members of your family sitting around the same table with multiple conversations going on, usually with the person at the farthest side of the table. There's a general melee of migrating dishes, tinkling china and silverware, and overlapping "your grandfather used to play that at the-" "of course she didn't know there was-" "the other day the kids said to me-" occasionally punctuated by a loud laugh that halts all other conversations as the amused one fills everyone else in on the source of merriment.

Family.
Food.
Friends.
Thankfulness.

If I haven't said it lately, I love you. I am thankful that you are here. Thank you for reading my blog. Thank you for being a part of my life. I hope that your Thanksgiving Day is a day of rest, and a day to delight in the company of your family and friends as you eat delicious food and nap during the football game. I hope that you are able to be thankful for something, be it family, friends, food, a job, health, or Jesus.
I am thankful for Jesus, because he's the reason why I can enjoy all of the other things that I love about the holidays.

Thank you for the world so sweet
Thank you for the food we eat
Thank you for the birds that sing
Thank you, God, for everything
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment